Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Time for something new

When I was 11, one of my moms friends came and spent a few days with us and taught me and my sister how to make quilts. We both picked out some Christmas themed fabrics and with a lot of help, made our first quilts. Every holiday season, usually around Thanksgiving ( that seems to be the longest I can hold out), I pull out my Christmas decorations and am always pleasantly surprised to see it laying in the bottom of a storage bin. Without fail I say to myself "Self, you need to make another!".

 I finally decided to take the leap this winter season and make 2. I am not at all sure how it is going to turn out. I don't even have a pattern. It is an ever evolving idea floating around in my head that will eventually morph into a little work of art.....I hope.

My Great Grandma Douglas Bought a Singer sewing machine back in 1948 to which I have recently inherited. It's a beauty and built like a horse!!! Last year, I was a little skeptical when my Grandma asked me if I wanted it. Old sewing machines were built into a cabinet-like table and end up being a piece of furniture in your house. Not easy to put in a closet somewhere when you don't need it. But I thought" What the hay, never know when I'll need one!". I have never used it until this past weekend. I was kind of in awe when I pulled it topside and turned it on. I was expecting some awefull, loud, humming noise to come out of the antique, but, it was silent. Much to my amazementt it is quiet and very sure of itself. A couple youtube editorial videos and thorough manual inspection later... I was sewing away!

Thanks Grandma for such a lovely heirloom!



1 comment:

  1. I love it! What a cool gift! Good luck on your quilts! Make sure to update us on your progress.. sarah o.

    ReplyDelete